Tips to help you succeed in virtual interviews
Now that virtual interviews have become the norm, how can you set yourself up for virtual interview success? We’re sharing these ten great tips to help you prepare to put your best foot forward for your next virtual interview.
Here are our top ten tips to help you succeed in your next virtual interview:
- Use a laptop or desktop computer where possible, instead of a phone app. Close any programs not in use to avoid reducing connection speed or receiving notification interruptions.
- Look into the camera while speaking and maintain eye contact.
- Standard ‘interview rules’ still apply. Wear appropriate professional attire as you would to an in-person interview.
- Record a practice run with a friend. This is a good opportunity to test your internet connection, lighting, eyeline, sound quality and how you come across.
- Choose a professional background. Ensure it is tidy, clutter free, this gives the impression you are organised and pay attention to detail.
- Eliminate distractions. Chose a quiet room, make people at home aware in advance and silence your phone.
- Visibly demonstrate active listening – things like nodding, and asking relevant questions based on the conversation.
- Prepare questions to ask at the end of the interview – beyond “what are the next steps” – to show that you have thought about, listened and are genuinely interested in the role.
- Follow up post interview. Send an email to thank the recruiter or hiring manager for their time and reiterate your interest in the position. You can also connect with them on LinkedIn.
- Remember the recruiter or hiring manager may also not be used to interviewing virtually, so be prepared for a few technical hiccups. Don’t let it distract you! Remember, if you are unable to hear them at any stage, don’t be afraid to say so.
With a little bit of preparation, you can feel confident that your next virtual interview will show your skills and experience in the best light possible. Best of luck!
Stockdale is ready to help you find your next role in printing, warehousing and logistics. Contact us today.