Tips for writing a standout CV and cover letter
When preparing your CV and cover letter, it’s best to keep it simple. We’re sharing these ten great tips to help you create a stand out CV and cover letter that will help you get noticed.
Here are our top ten tips to help your CV and cover letter stand out from the crowd:
- Use simple, clean layout and formatting. This can include bullet points. Search for free CV templates and check out websites which offer cost effective templates. Seek templates designed for to be easily skimmed over.
- Make sure you include your contact details and that they are up to date and easy to read with links to relevant online portfolios or profiles like LinkedIn.
- Font type is important. For an easy to read, professional look use Arial or Times new roman size 10-12 points.
- Include key words from the job posting to make your CV really relevant to the role you are applying for.
- Keep it brief, using only relevant information. Keep your CV to ideally two pages, no more than three pages in length.
- Structure your CV with the most important and relevant information first. Start with a personal summary, then employment history including your most recent experience, a clear timeline of dates, and a reason for leaving if required.
- Always proofread your CV and cover letter. Give it to a friend to sense check, ensure there are NO spelling or grammatical errors. Keep your CV updated, and avoid submitting an older version!
- Achievements. Include these where possible either as a separate section, or included with your employment. Use numbers to highlight the value you could bring – for example, you achieved ‘an increase in production of 110% year on year by implementing…’.
- Send in PDF format, not a Word document to make sure the formatting doesn’t change when viewed on a different computer.
- When including a cover letter, use the same principles as your CV. Make it clear, to the point, easy to read, and highlight how you are the best candidate for the role.
Keeping your CV and cover letter logical, relevant and easy to read will give you the best possible chance to make an impact when applying for a new role. Take the time to get the details right and get ready to stand out from the rest!
Time to dust off your CV? Stockdale is ready to help you find your next role in printing, warehousing and logistics. Contact us today.